Click here to listen to an audio version of this page.
Art27 Scotland is an artist-led, community driven CIC. Our work focuses on Arts for Dignity, Justice and Peace. We take our mission from Article 27 of the Declaration of Human Rights, which states that everyone has the right to participate in the culture of their community and to enjoy the arts. One key area of exploration is around Cultural Rights – what they mean in arts practice, and how they are upheld, protected and progressed. We see cultural rights as indivisible from human rights, recognising the complex intercultural nature of our diverse community in Edinburgh’s Southside and the challenges and opportunities that this brings in the context of migration. Our Culture Collective Artists in Residence work with communities in their first language, and we facilitate a cultural orientation and development for displaced and migrant professional artists.
THE ART27 CORE TEAM ARE:
- Helen Trew, Co-Director and CC Co-ordinator
- Robert Rae, Co-Director and Embedded Artist
- Saber Bamatraf, Digital Comms and Production Officer
- Kasia Jackowska, Artist in Residence programme manager
OUR 2022/23 ARTISTS IN RESIDENCE ARE:
- Elaine Cheng – Scottish/Hong Kongese Sonic Artist working with Hong Kongese community
- Ghazi Hussain – Palestinian Poet and Writer working with Syrian young people
- Laleh Sherkat – Iranian street photographer documenting domestic lives of different cultures in the neighbourhood
- Marta Adamowicz – Polish visual artist working with Polish community on Slavic Mythology and Archetypes
- Robert Motyka – Polish Projection artist working with Polish community on animation
- Robert Rae – Embedded artist working across all communities in the area to create a song cycle entitled Southside Symphony
- Shatha Altowai – Yemeni visual artist working through an international digital cultural exchange between women in Edinburgh and Yemen.
OUR SUPPORTING CO-ORDINATORS ARE:
- Vanessa Chong
- Zakaria Berrada